If you prefer to groom your dog yourself rather than put a professional groomer to do it, you will have to be very careful. In fact, a professional groomer is a person who has received a training to be able to exercise. You are going to have to take certain precautions, particularly if you choose to clip his hairs yourself.
How to wash you dog?
When you wash your dog, you will need to follow some steps:
- For the bath to be a pleasant moment for your dog and you, it is best to get him used to it from early age.
- A dog must not be washed too often; it must be done if his coat is dirty or if it starts to smell bad. A frequency of a bath every 2 or 3 months seems ideal. He must not be washed more frequently because his hairs are full of vitamins that your pet ingests in licking them.
- Whether it is for the bath or the hair clipping, remember to gather together all the accessories you will be needing, this will be more comfortable for you. You should not give your pet a moment of inattention to escape while still wet.
- You can wash your dog in a bathtub or in a basin large enough to accommodate him. Fill your container with lukewarm water, it is necessary that the paws of your dog are almost completely submerged. If you don’t have a bathtub or basin, a shower will do.
- Before bathing your faithful companion, untangle his hairs with a brush because the water tightens the knots.
- Your dog must be washed with a shampoo that is adapted: It exists for short hairs or long, for sensitive skin…
- Do not wash his ears and eyes with water. Prefer a physiological serum for the eyes and a product suitable for the ears.
- After the bath, brush your dog.
- Dry your dog with a towel. Avoid the hair dryer which could burn. Instead use a hair dryer adapted to dogs.
- If you decide to cut the claws of your dog, be very careful and use a claw clipper for dogs. You must above all not cut the pink part. If you have a doubt, please contact a professional who will not charge a lot for this.
How to shave your dog?
- Place your dog on a table, this will be more practical and less painful for your back.
- Make sure that your four-legged friend does not move.
- Use a professional clipper.
- Make your dog listen to the noise of the clipper so he won’t be afraid.
- Use the same cutting head, so that the hair will be at the same length all over the body.
- To begin, it is better to go slowly to avoid injury to your dog.
- For some places, prefer scissors for more precision.
- Some areas are more sensitive than other; you will therefore have to be very careful. These are the small skins between the legs and the belly of the dog, the nipples of the female dog.
- Trim the hairs in parallel strips and in the direction of the hair growth. Always go to the end of your movements so that shaving is smoother.
The hairs that obstruct the view of your dog have to go, so be careful not to injure him. The same with the excess of hairs under the pads must be cut off in order not to obstruct their contact with the ground. It is a place very sensitive since there is a tendon at the center of the pads.
Related articles across the web